The Civil Justice Association of California (CJAC) is seeking a lawyer with civil litigation experience and a penchant for the policymaking process to join a small but impactful team in a fast-paced, in-house counsel role in Sacramento, California.
Founded in 1979, CJAC is the state’s premier legal reform advocacy organization with a mission to fight excessive and abusive civil litigation in the legislature, regulatory arena, and the courts. We are a non-profit, non-partisan, member-based association made up of California businesses from a wide variety of industries.
The Public Policy Counsel will support CJAC’s public policy efforts with a heavy emphasis on writing, research, and analysis but will also have some opportunity to serve in a junior advocate role. The position will report to the President and work closely with both the President and the Vice President and Counsel, Public Policy.
- Review, analyze and research civil liability implications of legislative and regulatory proposals spanning a variety of subject areas including civil procedure, privacy, warranty, asbestos, environment, unfair competition, product liability, disability access, and labor and employment.
- Alert and obtain feedback from CJAC member companies and partner organizations on civil liability impacts of proposed legislative and regulatory proposals.
- Make recommendations on bill positions to CJAC’s President and Legislative Committee.
- Draft and submit position letters, comments, talking points, fact sheets, op-eds, and white papers on legislative or legal issues in support of advocacy and education efforts.
- Monitor legislative and regulatory hearings and meetings for developments on legislative and regulatory proposals or other significant activity.
- Prepare bill descriptions and maintain and track bill positions, statuses and deadlines in bill tracking software.
- Lead or assist with business coalitions and working groups on legislative or policy issues.
- Draft legislative proposals and proposed amendments to bills.
- Prepare content for legislative and appellate e-newsletters and CJAC’s website.
- Prepare and deliver trainings and presentations on legislative issues and legal prevention to CJAC members, small businesses and at conferences.
- Prepare and file legal pleadings in connection with litigation or research and lead or assist with occasional court challenges.
- Track and research significant civil liability developments including state and national litigation and court trends.
- Meet with elected or appointed members and staff in the legislature, Governor’s Office, and regulatory agencies.
- Testify before legislative and regulatory bodies and arrange expert witnesses.
- Present reports and updates on legislative and other public policy developments to the CJAC Board and membership.
- Represent CJAC at public and political functions as appropriate.
- Provide general legal support as needed for organization operations.
Desired Skills and Qualifications
- Admitted to practice law in California
- At least three years of civil litigation experience
- Passion for legal writing, research, and analysis
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including ability to effectively convey complex legal issues to both legal and non-legal audiences
- Experience giving legal and lawsuit prevention trainings
- Detail-oriented and highly organized
- Strong work ethic, high-energy, and self-starter
- Familiarity with California legislative process
- Ability to handle multiple projects in a fast-paced environment
- Strong people skills and relationship-building ability
- Bilingual a plus
- Based in Sacramento, California
- Health and retirement benefits
- Compensation $90-110K/annually DOE
- Some travel required.
To apply, please submit a resume, cover letter, and two recent legal writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please make the subject of the email Public Policy Counsel Applicant and your name.
The Civil Justice Association of California is an equal opportunity employer.