The Civil Justice Association of California (CJAC) is seeking a lawyer with a penchant for the policymaking process to join a small but impactful team in an in-house counsel role in Sacramento, California.
Founded in 1979, CJAC is the state’s premier legal reform advocacy organization with a mission to fight excessive and abusive civil litigation on behalf of businesses in the legislature, regulatory arena, and the courts.
The Public Policy Counsel will support CJAC’s public policy efforts with a wide variety of legal and legislative advocacy work, including:
- Assess civil liability implications of legislative and regulatory proposals and work with CJAC member companies and partner organizations to determine impacts.
- Prepare position letters, comments, and other educational and lobbying materials.
- Lead or assist with business coalitions and working groups.
- Lobby legislators and staff and regulatory agencies and testify at legislative and regulatory hearings.
- Develop legislative proposals and proposed amendments to bills.
- Assist with occasional court challenges.
- Monitor significant state and national civil litigation and court trends.
- Apprise CJAC Board and membership of legislative and regulatory developments.
Desired Skills and Qualifications
- Admitted to practice law in California
- Civil litigation experience
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Based in Sacramento, California
- Health and retirement benefits
- Compensation $90-110K/annually DOE
- Some travel
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Civil Justice Association of California is an equal opportunity employer.